Thursday, April 1, 2010

Niagra! April Fools :)


This morning I awoke to my husband’s alarm clock blaring Steven Curtis Chapman singing… “The rivers deep, the rivers wide, the river’s water is alive…so sink or swim I’m divin’ in.” Then my hubby rolled over and shut it off and a picture popped in my mind of me hanging onto a root, just about to go over Niagra Falls.
No wonder I’m tired!

I knew I was in God's river and the "movie" I was viewing was about what he wants to do in my life and that I needed to let go but I just couldn’t …I was afraid. “What is this root?” I asked the Father, “and why can’t I let go?” Just then Jesus was with me in the river and he gave me perspective…it wasn’t Niagra at all, but just a dip in the river…I felt like a fool.

The root was wrapped tightly around my arm and wrist and Jesus bravely dove into the water to cut it’s tentacles from my arm. He came back up and told me I was free and all I had to do was unwrap it from my wrist. I did so and it came off easier than expected. The root seemed to have a deep hold on me at first but then I realized with Jesus’ help it was a breeze to remove…the root was self-pity and it was holding me back....

I found new strength and courage as I clung to Jesus and we floated down the river. He’s taking me into new water where I am becoming aware of how much he is my only source. Fear and self preservation (which is what self-pity really is) had made the situation look larger than it was but Jesus put things into perspective…nothing is too big for him …he is the Overcomer!

Ezekiel 47:3-12 came to mind where Ezekiel is led into the river that flows from the temple. First he is ankle deep, then knee deep, then up to his waist and finally he is swimming in a river that no one can cross. Then he is led back to the bank of the river. Jesus leads us like this.

Each time Ezekiel is led deeper into the water a “man” is taking measurements. First comes the measurement and then Ezekiel is led deeper. This is how our walk with the Lord is…Jesus measures off our path leading us so far to test us or see if we “measure up” and then if we are ready and willing he takes us to a deeper level. Deeper we go into the pure water that flows from his throne nourishing everything within it and along its banks.

Then this water flows into the salt sea (verse 8) and quenches its thirst with fresh waters causing huge explosions of life to come forth from it… “Swarms of living creatures…large numbers of fish” (verse 9). Where the water flows … “everything will live….” (Again in verse 9).
Life is in the flow but where the water is stalled in the marshes and swamps the water is left salty (see verse 11). Stay in the flow. If life seems to have left you stuck in the mud and thirsty, maybe you have wandered into the swamp!

The river causes the trees along both sides to be strong and hardy, and they bear fruit like clockwork. This fruit is for food and the leaves of the trees are for healing. (Eze 47:12) God provides everything we need and causes us to grow and be healed so we can give to others.
This river is our dwelling place where “…God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:6) and we are supplied by the river or power of God with “… everything we need for life and godliness…” (2Peter 1:3).

As I shed the root and clung to the Rock (Jesus), I had new enthusiasm for what the flow of the river would bring and as long as Jesus is with me…I have nothing to fear. He will keep me… “Because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.” (2 Timothy 1:12) He is my life-preserver!

No comments:

Post a Comment