Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sarasota Stroll

We’ve been here two weeks and have been getting acquainted with our new surroundings. This morning we took time for an interesting stroll through our local farmer’s market here in Sarasota. As the palm trees swayed in the breeze, the market buzzed with life.

There were people from all walks there as well as dogs of every color, shape and size. I was taken by how the people interacted with eachother as I watched. A lady in a wide brim hat floated down the street with her two pedigrees leading the way. She was dressed in a flowing dress and had a large jeweled necklace that hung appropriately in its place.

All the while a man who lived on the streets sat dejected in his familiar spot trying to escape the heat of the day. Every belonging he had was stuffed carefully into a dirty bag he had found. People walked by him and pretended not to notice. Even I tried not to stare but I wanted to make eye contact with him and I smiled, he looked at me with cold, empty eyes as he puffed on his cigarette not wanting my acknowledgement.

A woman sat alone on another part of side walk with a small cardboard sign that said something like, “a few dollars will help.” How desperate she must be to turn to begging. It took me by surprise that she was there doing that. I guess small town is still in my thoughts.

This silent drama played itself out throughout the morning in the downtown area. Tents were set up and musicians played. Fruit and exotic plants were sold. Rich people strutted their wealth while poor people begged for money. People sampled teas and sauces while dogs sniffed at one another. All this happened as if right on schedule.

This made me think of what God has been saying to me recently through his word. The way we treat people is important to him. James chapter two admonishes us not to show favoritism between the rich and the poor; it also says that there should be action with our faith.

Matthew 25:31-46 reveals more of God’s heart about this subject as Jesus prophesies of what will happen when he comes to judge us. It won’t be about how much money we had or whether we were or weren’t successful in the business arena. No, his judgment of us will be based on how we treated those who are poor and in need around us. Did we meet their needs or did we turn our heads and walk the other direction?

I must confess; I am convicted.

Father, forgive me for my negligence and thank you for showing me the opportunities all around me. What is it that you would have me to do? I so want to be pleasing in your sight. When you come to judge me, I want to stand before you a sweet sheep ready for your Kingdom. Lead me, show me and help me to be obedient to your will. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Christy,

    I have been away from blogging world for a while and blessed to know where you have landed, and excited to see what God is going to do with your family there is Sarasota - many months out of the year, you will be closer to home than you know with all the Shipshewanaites that vacation there!

    I love this post, about how we treat others. I was convicted of this, too, as I was in the D.R. last week, realizing that it's not my place to judge who is really in need, and how much. Jesus judges those motives, not me. Our job is to be his hands and feet. I am with you in your thoughts on this one! Enjoy the beautiful sun for us up north!

    ReplyDelete