Friday, February 26, 2010

Forever and For Always, No Matter What.


I have a sign in my kitchen which reads, “Forever and For Always, No Matter What.” It is amazing to me how if we let him, God will speak to us through anything. He keeps the flame of his word stoked within us by reminding us here and there with normal every day things, causing us to meditate on what he has said to us. As I looked at this sign today I was reminded once again to think about what he has been teaching me, the meaning of covenant.

I recently heard a preacher on TV say that we have no idea what is the meaning of a covenant. He explained that God’s word speaks against allowing us to have an intimate relationship outside of the covenant of marriage and if that is what God expects of us then those boundaries will also apply to Him.

He will not have intimate relationship with us outside of a covenant relationship with him. He further went on to explain that a covenant is as follows: Everything I have is yours and everything you have is mine. See Jesus relationship with the Father and us in all of John 17, especially verse 10.


He used the example of Christ on the cross saying that when Christ died for us he took everything that was rightfully ours: sin, guilt, shame and punishment for these, upon himself and he gave to us everything that was his: righteousness, holiness, access to the very throne of God and so much more.

All this stirred deep within my spirit as I had to question my relationship with the Lord. Was I in covenant relationship with him or not? Through my tears I thought, I don’t ever want to wonder about this and right there and then I renewed my covenant with God. I gave him all of myself and took all that was his. This has forever changed my life through a deeper intimacy with him that I have never before experienced, one that can be forever trusted…no matter what.

When Christ says to us that he will never leave us and never forsake us, he means it. It is his everlasting vow to us, his bride. Unlike when we as humans say our wedding vows and then break them later on in life, there is no changing his promises. I can completely trust the bond I have with Jesus. I don’t have to worry that I did or didn’t hear what he said to me clearly. I don’t have to worry that his power won’t be there when I need it to help me through.

My Father, because of the covenant he has with me, will never leave me in times of trouble. He will never fail me and in token I will take him wherever his heart desires to go and I will do whatever his heart desires to do. As a part of the covenant, he will also provide for all my needs. Everything has been given to me that I will ever need to do what he has called me to do. (2 Peter 1:3-11)

Sprinkled throughout Isaiah 41-44 today, I found sweet comfort crystals for the days that lie ahead. In the midst of all the people were going through, God spoke sweetly to them with a calm reassuring voice. See if you can hear him singing over you today. Read these passages and you too will be blessed.

My husband and I have taken a big step this last weekend and we put our house up for sale. We are not sure where the Lord is leading us, but I am sure that because of the covenant relationship we have with the Father he will lead us where we are to go and what we are to do. We are remaining open to his leading and we are staying close to him. It is a big step of obedience for us but we rest in his presence as we look forward to the adventurous journey ahead.

I am so glad that the Lord spoke to us to renew things with him so that we could be assured of our security in him no matter what. I know there will be tough times because Jesus tells us there will be, so we can expect it, but where else would we rather be? I love what it says in John 6:68, “Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” There is no other place than Jesus. There is no one like him and never will be. He is our source. Everything I have is his and everything he has is mine.

Galatians 2:20 beautifully speaks what I am trying to convey, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

I hope I have spurred you on today to think about the level of intimacy that you have or do not have with Christ. My prayer is that he will stir in you as he did in me to sit at his feet and say, I renew my covenant with you today, Jesus. I give you all of me, good and bad, and I receive all that you have for me. His promises can be trusted. Spend some time with him and see what he has to say to your heart.

3 comments:

  1. Christy, I'm reading "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan, and the picture of you putting your house up for sale is an example of living like the Acts Christians, surrendering in covenant relationship with Him. He will lead you, and I am excited to see where He will take you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep you posted :) No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Christy, what a fun spot to be in ~ smack dab in the center of God's will. I'll look forward to hearing how God answers your prayers! We put our home on the market last year, and it sold in less than 2 months (with 19 homes for sale in our neighborhood). God knows what He is doing, doesn't He??
    Will you be staying in Indiana?? Or is that all still in prayer as well??
    Your post encouraged and inspired me (as always). THANKS FOR SHARING!!
    Love to you~
    cindy :)

    ReplyDelete