Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lord! Save Me!



Oh, to be like Jesus. Today this is the cry of my heart as I read from Matthew 14. Here Jesus learns of the tragic beheading of his cousin John. This is a gruesome tragedy Jesus suffers and his response to it is to withdraw to a place of peace to be with the Father.

Jesus goes by boat and the people follow by shore. When he lands, he sees them and it says in verse 14 that he has compassion on them and heals them. Even in the midst of his own personal tragedy and grief he is drawn by his heart of compassion to love and minister to the people. He’s so strong as he handles this situation. Grace flows from him as he invests himself in the needs of others.

I am so taken with the depth of his kindness and it doesn’t end there; dinner time has come and the people need to eat. Jesus takes what little his disciples have and breaks it, gives it back to them and tells them to feed the people. He multiplies it to meet the need and then some. Once again love and generosity flows from him through his disciples to the people.

How could I ever doubt that he loves me and desires to come near to me? How could we ever doubt that he wouldn’t provide for our needs? He can’t help himself, he loves us so much.

The scripture goes on to display his glory to those closest to him. He makes the disciples go out into a boat as he once again retreats this time to the mountainside to pursue peace and be with the Father. I want you to see as I did what resulted from his time with God. He walks on water! When we have spent time with the Father, we can walk on troubled waters with grace and peace even as he did. God was his source.

The disciples are afraid by what they see. Think about the miracle they had just seen with their own eyes as Jesus fed five thousand men, not counting the women and children and yet they are terrified by their circumstances. Who will save them?

I love the beauty of Jesus’ words as he immediately speaks to them in verse 27, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” Man, he immediately speaks to them when they are frightened! Really think about this situation and allow your thoughts to put you in the boat with them. The wind and the waves have picked up, the only light you have is the moon, you are very vulnerable and there seems to be danger all around when you look out across the deep, black water and what do you see? A figure walking toward you on the water! No wonder they were terrified.

Then you hear the master speak; Jesus wants to speak to you in the midst of what you are facing today and what is he saying to you? Do you hear him? “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid” I am so intrigued by the boldness of Peter as he calls back to Jesus saying in verse28, “Lord, if it’s you…tell me to come to you on the water.” This is a lesson to us, as well, when we are seeking guidance from the Lord to test what it is we are hearing and seeing. Jesus says, “Come”. That one word from him is enough for Peter to risk it all and he got down out of his place of safety onto the rough waters to go to Jesus.

Just one word from Jesus and he risked it all, this is so powerful. Then it seems that his senses return to him and he realizes what he’s done. Fear and doubt come to torment him and he cries out, “Lord, save me!” then verse 31 says, “Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him.” Jesus chides him a bit but he is still kind asking him, “Why did you doubt?”

Whenever we take a leap into the unknown for Jesus we can expect fear and doubt to come, but we have nothing to fear for Jesus is there to immediately reach out his hand of grace and mercy to save us. Everything about Jesus is salvation. All through this scripture is weaved the golden thread of salvation and Jesus is the one bringing it to everyone.

The disciples worshipped him upon entering their boat proclaiming that he truly is the Son of God. If his kindness to them has found you today and you haven’t yet given your life to him, hear his words to you, “Take courage! It is I.” and don’t be afraid to leap into his arms of safety.

Pray with me… “Lord, save me! I acknowledge that I need you. I’m in a boat with deepest, darkest circumstances around me and I’m afraid for my life. Come into my heart , I acknowledge you are the Son of God and that you died in my place for my sins. I receive you as my Lord and Savior today. Thank you for saving me. I believe! Amen.

If you prayed this and believed it from your heart, the bible says that you are saved. (Romans 10:9) And if you are already a believer and you are facing wind and waves take courage because Jesus is there to save you too! Immediately, he will reach out his hand to you when you call! Have faith, don’t doubt, don’t fear but believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment