Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fear Bully

When I was young, I had an acquaintance who was a bit of bully. This individual would threaten to punch me when I didn’t do things according to their plan. For years, I would succumb to the pressure until one day I had had enough. I remember thinking at that point that I didn’t care what happened to me…I was ready for my licks and was poised to punch back if necessary.

After this incident, the person went home and I never saw them again. I have since forgiven them but I learned quite a bit about myself that day. Recently, as I was contemplating a fear that was raising its ugly head in my life, I realized that fear itself is a bully.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came to mind in Daniel chapter 3, they faced a bully of a king who wanted them to bow down to his golden image. The trio would have nothing of it, they stood their ground even to the point of facing certain death. They didn’t care about the outcome and they came through the experience with great victory bringing honor and glory to their true King.

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (2 Peter 5:6-7). 2 Peter 5:7 is used so many times in Christ centered teaching just by itself but I noticed as I read this scripture that “humbling”(in 5:6) ourselves is a vital part to “casting”.

It is very humbling to cry out to God realizing that he is our only hope but so many times the cares don’t go away when we attempt to “cast” them on Christ because we have forgotten to do the “humbling” part.

I decided to look a bit further into the word “humble” as used in this context in the Strongs and it means: 1) to make low, bring low 1a) to level, reduce to a plain 1b) metaph. to bring into a humble condition, reduce to meaner circumstances 1b1) to assign a lower rank or place to 1b2) to abase 1b3) to be ranked below others who are honored or rewarded 1b4) to humble or abase myself by humble living 1c) to lower, depress 1c1) of one's soul bring down one's pride 1c2) to have a modest opinion of one's self 1c3) to behave in an unassuming manner 1c4) devoid of all haughtiness.

One reason I don’t cast my fears and anxieties on the Lord is because I think that I can handle a situation when in reality…I can’t. I need God’s help because he’s the only one who can bring lasting change in my life.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego thought more of their God than of themselves (humble) and God honored their casting of anxieties (Daniel 3:17-18) with victory changing the worship of a king and his nation (Daniel 3:28-29).

What could God do with you and me if we were to follow their example and not let fears and anxieties rule our lives by bullying us into submission? What if we’d raise our fists to fear by acknowledging that we need the mighty hand of our God not caring about the outcome and truly cast them onto our God? I'm convinced, God would rock our world !!

No comments:

Post a Comment