Monday, September 19, 2011

Temptation

This morning I was reading from Oswald Chambers, “My Upmost for His Highest,” and he challenged me. Will I go on with Jesus through his temptation? I liked what he said, “They are his temptations, not temptations to us, but temptations to the life of the Son of God in us.” This fits perfectly with Galatians 2:20 which says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The live I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”


Recently, Matty and I went to dinner with an old friend and he spoke of Galatians 2:20 in this way, “ It’s all God’s problem now.” It’s our job to cast off the cares of this world so that they don’t weigh us down. We have to stay in a position to hear from the Father to know which direction to take in our journey to follow him.


The text with Oswald’s message was Luke 22 so I turned to it and read of how Jesus was betrayed and I was struck by the way Jesus rebuked his disciples because they were sleeping instead of praying that they not fall into temptation. (Luke22: 39-46) Instantly my thoughts turned to the Lord’s Prayer and how Jesus taught us to pray, “…lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil…” and I thought, why are we “lead” into temptation and by who are we led?


Again my thoughts went to scripture, James 1:13-14 says, “When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.” So according to this scripture it is our own evil desire that “drags” us away. EW…not a pretty picture!


What if I prayed and asked the Lord to lead me not into temptation and deliver me from evil every day? Man, would I have victory or what. Then I thought, why does James say, “for God cannot be tempted,” could it be that he is agreeing and confirming what Galatians 2:20 is saying? I think so. Christ is in us and cannot be tempted but salvation is a process of elimination. We die and Christ lives filling us with his holiness and cleansing away the old making it new; renewing us day by day…washing us with his word.


This is a word for you and me today to be ready for the test to come. If you are reading this it is to prepare you. Don’t fear…you’ve read this so you will pass the test and bring glory to God while increasing his presence within you! Have a blessed day!



2 comments:

  1. Christy,

    I loved this - the comment your friend made was also made by John Bevere is a study we recently did with his material. The idea that "it's God's problem now" is so BIG! How many carries we would disperse of if we kept this as our primary thinking! Thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete