Sunday, May 16, 2010

What God Wants...

What a week! Moving furniture and preparing for a huge garage sale is a lot of work but man, did we have fun in the end! We had prayed that needs of people would be met and that God would sell everything! Our front drive was full, our big front porch was full and our garage was bubbling over with items we had accumulated over the years.

Where does this stuff all come from??? I ask this question with a grin because I know the answer. It was so much fun watch as God met the desires of people’s hearts with things that were just gathering dust in our home. What fun and joy was had by all when a lady came and had been praying for God to give her a book from a conference she had gone to years ago. She had loaned her book to a friend and then lost touch with the person and to her dismay the book she so loved.

I had been to the same conference when I was a teenager, some years ago and had kept the book all these years never even looking at it again. She had prayed for that book for a long time and when she saw it her eyes got big and she shouted for joy giving us all high fives!! What Fun!!! God is sooooo good! And to add to her joy, it was “Get done by Noon” day at our garage day so we were giving a lot of items away and that was one of our free items! I love to watch God at work, what a joy.

That wasn’t the only item or circumstance of the day; needs were met and people were blessed and now we don’t have to move anything more than our beds, clothes and a few small furniture and kitchen items….WOO HOO …thank you Jesus! What a freeing feeling to shed all that we’ve been hanging onto as we embark on this new adventure in our lives.

This morning as I was waiting upon the Lord, he took me to Matthew 25: 31-46. Now, with the sale of our home and other things, we are waiting to see what the next door will be and we are trying to discern what the will of God is for our lives. What does God want from us?

As I was reading this passage, verses 34-40(Complete Jewish Bible version) God says to his sheep, “…Come you whom my Father has blessed, take your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you made me your guest, I needed clothes and you provided them, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.

Then the people who have done WHAT GOD WANTS will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and make you our guest or needing clothes and provide them? When did we see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’

The King will say to them, ‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you did these things for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did it for me!’…”

Did you see it? WHAT GOD WANTS? I did this morning. We have been trying to determine where God wants us to live and what he wants us to do and here in plain English was what he wants from every one of his children. Heaven waits for those who see a need and simply meet it with what God has given them.

So many times I have heard people say, “Why does a good God allow bad things to happen?” I’m in no way saying that I have the complete answer to this question but I did have some thoughts about it this morning.

How would we fulfill what God wants without a need being present? How could anyone ever see the light of Jesus in us through our deeds to men without the darkness in which we live?

I learned something about myself and God’s desires for us through this week of preparation and the separation of my material things. It is so true what Jesus says, it is more blessed to give than to receive. Matter of fact, I think it is the most freeing feeling I have ever experienced apart from the salvation of my soul. I’m learning to let go and give all of me to the purposes of God. What fun!!

I’m not all there just yet, but the light is beginning to dawn and this new thing God is doing is beginning to shine brightly upon me.

Thank you, Jesus for your gentle grace, love and mercy for each one of us. Cause your people to rise up and meet the needs around them just as you rose up and met the need for every one of us. I love you, Jesus ….Amen.

1 comment:

  1. inspiring... I too have been challenged to get rid of "stuff"... I am sooo sentimental, but realize I don't want to live in a cluttered, unorganized home either - so, thanks for another confirmation that some STUFF has to go!

    ReplyDelete